Housing Disrepair

Are you living in poor housing conditions? If your rented property falls below a reasonable living standard and is in need of repairs to prevent mould, damp and more, call or find out how we can help you.

What exactly is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair means a rented property that is in need of repair in order for it to be safe and suitable for tenants to live in.

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure:

  •  That the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally
  •  That your house is free from damp and mould
  •  That your drains and gutters are clear and working as they should be
  •  That you have a working heating system
  •  That you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
  •  That you have working sanitation facilities i.e. toilet, basins, sinks, etc.
  •  That your home is free from vermin or insect infestation

In a house where repairs or works are needed, if the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after the issues are reported by you, then this could be considered housing disrepair.

What repairs constitute housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair can include damp, mould, condensation, leaks, drainage, flooding (internal and external i.e. the garden), repointing of brickwork, missing or loose tiles, structural cracks, insect and vermin infestation, poor ventilation, boiler issues, no running or hot water or heating.

Housing disrepair responsibility falls to the landlord whether you’re a social tenant living in either a housing association or council-owned properties, or a private tenant with a private landlord.

Nobody should have to accept poor living conditions. The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) means that repairs are now contractual and any breach of contract allows the tenant to take legal action.

Call free on 0161 883 3581 or